Steve Rumbelow was appointed Chief Executive of Rochdale
Borough Council in December 2014.
Steve has overall responsibility for the running of the
council and schools. He works closely with elected Councillors and
partners from public, private and third sector organisations to
achieve improvements across the borough and to deliver quality
The Chief Executive's role includes the following key
- Accountable for the delivery of the
council's corporate strategy.
- Accountable for annual gross expenditure of approximately
£500m; net budget of £200m.
- Promote local democracy.
- Attract business and jobs.
- Develop partnerships and co-operatives.
- Ensure sound financial management to achieve value for
- Deliver vital services to vulnerable people.
- Run everything from schools and social work to restaurant
inspectors and rat catchers.
- Be responsible for cleaner, greener environments.
- Promote cohesive communities.
- Take a long-term view of the development of the area.
- Shape the council's culture through effective overall
leadership of the senior management team and employees, advising
local and national politicians, and working with the Leader,
Cabinet and Council Members.
- Advance the social, cultural, economic and financial interests
of the local area.
- Run regional programmes on collaboration.
- Influence national policy for local government.
- Lead responsibility for the council's communications
- Lead Chief Executive within the Association of Greater
Manchester Authorities (AGMA) on a number of key strategic
- Appointed as Electoral Registration Officer and Returning
Officer for Rochdale Borough Council as required under Section 8 of
the Representation of the People Act 1983, as amended and
appointment of Returning Officer as required under Section 35 of
the same Act.
- Appointed as Head of Paid Service in accordance with Section 4
of the Local Government and Housing Act 1989.