Nursery schools and classes provide early education for children aged 3 and 4.
- Children can start in the September following their third birthday (although some accept children throughout the year depending on numbers).
- Local authority nursery schools take pre-school children only.
- Nursery classes are usually attached to a primary school.
- Remember that a place in the nursery class doesn't automatically guarantee a place at that school.
- Children attend 5 mornings or afternoon sessions a week during term time. Each session is for 3 hours, although some nursery classes can offer flexible hours spread across a school day.
- Once you've searched for a list of nursery schools and classes you'll be able to use the search bar to search by postcode or the filters to refine your search.
How do I apply?
- Contact the nursery for vacancy information.
- Request an application form early in the autumn term following your child's second birthday.
- Contact the nursery for its own admissions policy.
Ofsted regularly inspects all nursery schools and classes, to assess their strengths and highlight areas for improvement.
You can access Ofsted reports for each provider, where available, with each childcare provider listing or search the Ofsted website.