Nursery schools and classes provide early education for children
aged 3 and 4.
Children can start in the September following their third
birthday (although some accept children throughout the year
depending on numbers).
- Local Authority nursery schools take pre-school children
- Nursery classes are usually attached to a primary school.
Remember that a place in the nursery class doesn't automatically
guarantee a place at that school.
Children attend 5 mornings or afternoon sessions a week
during term time. Each session is for 3 hours, although some
nursery classes can offer flexible hours spread across a school
How do I apply?
- Contact the nursery for vacancy information.
- Request an application form early in the autumn term following
your child's second birthday.
Each nursery will have its own admissions policy.
regularly inspects all nurseries, to assess their strengths and
highlight areas for improvement.
- Every nursery has a URN (Unique Reference Number).
Go to the Ofsted site and enter the URN to search for their