Accessing the information about your time in care can be daunting, exciting, exhilarating and nerve-wracking. It can be life-changing, or merely satisfy your curiosity. For many, it is a very positive and uplifting experience.
There can be a range of reasons why you may want to do this, including
- Curiosity about why you came into care
- What happened and when
- A need to make sense of difficult memories and life events
- To clarify explanations
- A desire to trace family members
- Seeking medical information in reference to hereditary illness/disease
- To obtain photos/certificates.
Requesting personal information from us
There are a few steps you need to take before we can release personal information held by us. We usually charge £10 to access records, however this does not apply to care leavers.
If you want more legal information, you can visit the
Care Leavers’ Association website or that of the
Office of the Information Commissioner.