We investigate health and safety complaints about workplaces in Rochdale, such as reportable accidents, dangerous occurrences and reportable diseases. We inspect:
- Shops and offices
- Hotels and leisure facilities
- Builders’ merchants
- Steel stockholders
- Residential homes
- Nursing agencies
Health and safety standardsYou must ensure that your business meets the necessary health and safety standards and procedures. You can find out more information about these standards on the Health and Safety Executive website
We'll also be happy to advise you on health and safety matters in the workplace.
Safer workplaces, better business - guidance pack
This pack has been designed for small and medium sized businesses, such as restaurants, cafes, takeaways, retailers, small hotels, public houses, care homes and offices. It will help you to identify key hazards in your workplace, introduce suitable control measures and have a documented system available for inspection by enforcement officers.
Personal treatment businesses
If your business involves tattooing, piercing, electrolysis or hairdressing, you must register it with the council and meet the necessary byelaws, before you can operate.
Please see the licensing section for more information.
If you run a food business you must register with the council. Register a food business
Some workplaces will be the responsibility of the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), rather than the council, depending the nature of the work carried out. We can advise you on who is the
health and safety 'enforcing authority' for your workplace.
We do the following:
- Inspect places of work to ensure compliance with health and safety law, in accordance with government priorities.
- Use educational techniques as well as legal means to achieve compliance.
- Investigate accidents to employees or others which occur in workplaces.
- Investigate complaints about health, safety or welfare in work premises.
- Register particular premises (eg skin piercing, sex shops).
- Act as a consultee in relation to public safety for applications under the Licensing Act.
- Give advice to customers and all stakeholders on health and safety issues.
- Work with other health professionals locally and nationally.
- Digital and Aerial installation.
Construction safety. You must tell the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) if you're going to do any construction work.
Help us to help you
Please contact us if you wish to make a complaint about health, safety or welfare conditions in a workplace. Please provide full details of the premises concerned.
If you make a complaint about a workplace, we'll require your name, address and contact details so that we can keep you informed of our progress.