Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
  Non-Javascript users can confirm they have successfully signed out of MyAccount by clicking here


​​​Repatriation of a body to England and Wales

When the body of the deceased arrives back in England or Wales the Fune​ral Director who is dealing must report the death to the Coroner in whose jurisdiction the body is lying. The Coroner will then decide whether any further enquiries are needed. This may include a post mortem examination. If no further enquires are required the Coroner’s Office will issue appropriate paperwork or give permission for the funeral to take place.

Please note that a Death Certificate will not be issued by the local Registrars Office, but will be issued by the authority in the country where the death occurred. Please contact the Foreign and Commonwealth Office for any issues in relation to a Death Certificate from abroad.

If the death was not natural, it will be referred to the Coroner who will open an inquest to investigate the cause and circumstances of death. In this case the Coroner will issue form E for cremation, or a burial order, if required.

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office

Repatriation of bodies abroad

An application to remove a body out of England for funeral purposes should be made to the Coroner in whose jurisdiction the deceased died. The application should be made by completing a Form 104 and submitting this to the Coroner’s Office together with a copy of the death certificate (if applicable). The completion of the Form 104 will normally be done by your undertaker.

Form of notice to a Coroner of intention to remove a body out of England - Removal Notice Form 104 (56kb pdf)


01706 924815

Phone: Monday-Friday 9am-12.30pm and 1.30pm-4.30pm.

Find the Coroners Service on a map

HM Coroners Court
Floors 2 and 3
Newgate House
Rochdale OL16 1AT