You need to register your baby to get a birth certificate. You can then use this to claim Child Benefit and any other family-related benefits.
When to register a birth
You must register the birth within 42 days of the child being born.
Who can register a birth
Who can register a birth depends on the individual circumstances of the parents.
See who can register a birth on GOV.UK
Where to register a birth
You can register a birth with us at
Rochdale Register Office,
Langley Children's Centre or
You should register a birth with us if:
- The birth took place in Rochdale borough, whether or not the mother lives in Rochdale borough.
- The birth took place in Oldham and the mother lives in Rochdale borough. You've also the option to register the birth in Oldham instead. Register a birth in Oldham.
- The birth took place in Manchester and the mother lives in Rochdale borough. You've also the option to register the birth in Manchester instead. Register a birth in Manchester.
How to register a birth in the borough of Rochdale
- Ring us to make an appointment at Rochdale Register Office during the opening hour listed on this page, or at Langley Children's Centre and Heywood library on alternate Tuesday mornings.
- Take all the information you need to the appointment and one form of identification.
Visit GOV.UK to find out what you need to bring
- At the appointment you'll be given a copy of register page. Please check it's correct. If you find a mistake after it's signed you'll need to apply for a correction and pay a fee.
- You'll be asked to sign the register page.
How much it costs
It's FREE to register a birth. However it costs:
- £11 to purchase a standard birth certificate at the time of registration. Central government set the price for certificates.
- £75 to apply for a correction if you find a mistake on the birth certificate after it's signed. Or £90 if the correction needs to be considered by the Registrar General.
You can pay for another copy or a replacement copy of the birth certificate at any time after registering.
Apply for a copy birth certificate.