Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
  Non-Javascript users can confirm they have successfully signed out of MyAccount by clicking here

Municipal funeral

​​​​​​​​​​​A funeral can usually only take place after the death has been registered. Most people use a funeral director, though you can arrange a funeral yourself.

If you’re on a low income

If you’re on a low income you could be eligible for a Funeral Payment, to help to pay for a funeral you're arranging from the Department for Work and Pensions. How much you get depends on your circumstances. More information is available on the GOV.UK website or from your local Job Centre.

Funeral payments on GOV.UK

If there is no family

For further details please contact the Public Protection Service.​

Access public health funeral data

We now publish public health funeral data. This is about people who have died with no known next of kin, bona vacantia estates and estates which have been referred to the Treasury Solicitor, or Duchy of Lancaster or Cornwall. This information is supplied by financial year and the listings contain all information that can be made publicly available.

Access public health funeral data on Find open data

This data is freely re-usable under the terms at Find open data


0300 303 8871

Phone: Monday-Friday 8.30am-5.30pm.
Closed for training Monday 11am-11.30am.

Public Protection Service​​
Number One Riversid​e​
Smith Street
Rochdale OL16 1XU