The following points need to be remembered by all dog
owners to ensure they abide by the law, and keep their local
community clean and safe:
- Plastic fantastic: Always carry a plastic bag
so you can pick up your dog’s mess. You can use any plastic bag to put your dog's mess in.
- Bag it and bin it: Dispose of tightly tied
poo bags in a dog poop bin, any public litter bin or your municipal
refuse bin at home. Hanging poo bags on tree branches is a
littering offence and fines are enforceable.
- No sign, no excuse: If there is no sign to
prohibit dog fouling, it doesn’t mean you’re off the hook. You must
pick up after your dog wherever it does its mess - sign or no sign,
bin or no bin.
- Garden training: If you have a garden, train
your dog to do its mess there and make sure you clean up and put it
in your refuse bin straight away. Never put animal mess in your
- Never let your dog to go out
to do its mess alone.
- Don’t rely on the rain to wash dog
mess way: This isn't an excuse we'll accept for you not to
pick it up.